Electric shock drowning - INVISIBLE KILLER -Prevent it!

Shell - July 17, 2012

Recently there were four people—three children and one adult—who were killed in separate accidents involving electricity that was leaking into the water at marinas.

In response to the recent multiple tragedies, Kevin Ritz, ABYC instructor and Electric Shock Drowning expert, presents an updated and FREE Electric Shock Drowning Webinar to alert the unsuspecting to the dangers of this Invisible Killer.
If you have docks with electricity, and are in fresh or brackish water, we want to share an important safety opportunity with you.  Our friends at American Boat and Yacht Council are having a FREE online webinar Wednesday July 18th from 1pm – 3pm ET to talk about electric shock drowning, and how you can help prevent it at your facility. 
Electric shock drowning is the result of a typically low level alternating current passing through the body while immersed in fresh water. The force is sufficient enough to cause skeletal muscular paralysis, rendering the victim helpless and unable to swim. This type of fault can happen in any natural water but becomes fatal in fresh water due to lower water conductivity. Salt water has a higher conductivity.
For background information:  http://www.abycinc.org/news/pr071012.pdf
We hope your season is going really well, and thank you for being part of BoatU.S. Cooperating Group Program.
Adena-Marilyn's picture

The revised electric code in Michigan is requiring specific changes to Shore Power as marinas upgrade their facilities. An excellent web page posted by Boat US, to understand the basics is available at:
https://www.boatus.com/seaworthy/ESD.asp including links to an article:
ESD Explained: What every boater needs to know about Electric Shock Drowning.By Beth Leonard Published: July 2013

Detour Marina was one of the first Michigan Waterways facilities to install a new Shore Power system to minimize ESD risks, in 2013. Fayette State Park is planning to add electrical services, ESD compliant in 2015.
Meanwhile, boat owners should become familiar with the risks at marinas which are not yet compliant with the new electrical code, and test their own boat for leakage,